Naroda case: Court rejects plea to make 82 witnesses accused
Ahmedabad: A designated court hearing the 2002 Naroda Gaam riot case on Monday rejected the plea of all accused, including former minister Maya Kodnani, seeking that 82 Muslim witnesses be made accused and tried for attacking Hindus.
Designated court judge Jyotsna Yagnik turned down the application on the ground that provisions under section 319 of the CrPC do not provide that witnesses be made accused in the same trial.
In their application filed on May 24, all 79 accused, including Kodnani, had sought prosecution of 82 Muslim witnesses, including some key eye witnesses, on the ground that their own testimonies before the trial court revealed their participation in rioting on February 28, 2002.
Seventy nine persons are being tried in this case for killing of 11 persons in the post-Godhra riots in Naroda Gaam area of the city.
The accused in their plea cited various statements of the victim witnesses and police witnesses to argue that 82 Muslims, listed as prosecution witnesses, were sighted attacking Hindus with stones during the riot.
The prosecution countered this claim contending that no overt act on the part of even a single witness has been shown in the application moved by the accused.
Special Prosecutor Suresh Shah argued that there was no other evidence to implicate the witnesses and none of the victim witnesses had availed medical treatment in this regard.
The court also rejected an application requesting it to refer the issue of implication of witnesses to Gujarat high court for guidance under section 395 of CrPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users