Naroda Gaam: Court issues warrant against witness
Ahmedabad: A designated court, hearing the 2002 post-Godhra riots case of Naroda Gaam area of the city where 11 persons were killed, on Thursday issued bailable warrant against a witness - a police inspector in CBI.
Designated trial court judge Jyotsna Yagnik issued bailable warrant against CBI inspector N S Raju and directed him to remain present before the court tomorrow for his deposition.
The court also warned the witness that, "if he would fail to attend the court as directed, a non-bailable warrant shall follow."
"Raju was a part of the team which investigated the authenticity of CD in a sting operation done by reporter Ashish Khetan of Tehelka in which some of the accused of this case had made extra-judicial confessions," said advocate Shamshad Pathan, who is appearing in this case on behalf of some victims.
After the publicity of that sting operation, National Human Rights Commission directed the CBI to probe its authenticity. Raju was a part of the team that had sent the CD to Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), Jaipur, which had authenticated its content.
The trial court had on June three issued summons to Raju directing him to remain present before the court today but he did not appear and also did not intimate about his absence to special public prosecutor.
Taking a serious note of this conduct, the designated judge observed that, "...The witness has intentionally disobeyed the order of the court and has acted in a contemptuous manner."
"This prima facie points out his intentional obstruction in the process of justice which is a clear interference with the administration of justice," the judge further observed.
In the aftermath of the train burning incident at Godhra on February 27, 2002, violence had broken out in Naroda Gaam industrial area where 11 people from the minority community had been killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed