Naroda Patiya riots case: Petition in Gujarat High Court
Ahmedabad: A petition on behalf of the victims of Naroda Patiya riots of 2002 has been filed in the Gujarat High Court, seeking direction to the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to file a report on investigation into the "larger conspiracy".
Petitioner Amrish Patel demanded that SIT should be directed to submit either a closure report, or a charge sheet on the "larger conspiracy and connivance of the police".
"In the first application, filed in the sessions court, we demanded that SIT should investigate the aspect of the alleged involvement of some of the officers in Chief Minister`s Office, then Minister of State for Home Gordhan Zadafia, some police officers and ex-MLA Maya Kodnani as reflected through the analysis of the telephone call data collected by IPS officer Rahul Sharma," said advocate Mukul Sinha, Patel`s lawyer.
But this application, filed in September 2009, was rejected by the then trial court judge Jyotsna Yagnik on the grounds that the prayer was not required to be entertained at that stage. Later applications in 2010 too were rejected.
"But when we again filed the application, court, on December 3, 2011, directed SIT to forward final report to the court but since then SIT has not complied with that order," said Sinha.
"In our petition in the High Court we have prayed that direction be given to SIT either to file a closure report or a charge sheet," he said.
On Friday, Justice K M Thakar asked the petitioner to submit all the judgements and orders of the Apex court in relation to all riot cases of 2002 in which investigation was assigned to the SIT.
During the post-Godhra riots of 2002, 97 people of the minority community were killed in Naroda Patiya area here. In August 2012 trial court convicted 32 and acquitted 29 accused. All the convicts, including former MLA Maya Kodnani and Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi were awarded life imprisonments and their appeals are pending before the high Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez