NCC to raise naval wing units in Gujarat
New Delhi: With Prime Minister Narendra Modi stressing on using NCC cadets for bolstering coastal security, the Defence Ministry is planning to raise 10 more naval units of the voluntary youth organisation in his home state Gujarat.
As part of plans to raise the strength of National Cadet Corps from 13 lakhs to 15 lakhs, the force is planning to raise around 10 more units in Gujarat, an NCC official said.
He said after the stress laid by the Prime Minister on using NCC cadets for strengthening coastal security apparatus, some of the units which were planned to be affiliated to the Army would now be converted to the Naval wing.
The Prime Minister himself was an NCC cadet during school days and his picture in NCC uniform is widely circulated on the internet.
During his recent visit to the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya on June 14, the Prime Minister had stated that setting up a Naval NCC network across the country could prepare a dedicated force of soldiers which could help the Navy emerge as a big force in the coming times.
The NCC is also spreading its wings in insurgency and terrorism affected areas and focus is on inducting more youth from such areas to spread the message of national integration among them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?