New interceptor boat for coast guard in Gujarat
New Delhi: The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) will get a new interceptor boat Saturday for deployment along Gujarat`s Okha coast to tackle 26/11-type terror threats and piracy closer to the shore and prevent illegal activities in Indian waters, a statement said Friday.
"Defence Finance Secretary Dr Vijayalakshmy K Gupta will commission the Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) C-152 at Okha on the Gujarat coast tomorrow. ICG north-west regional commander Deputy Inspector General BS Yadav will be present at the ceremony," a defence ministry release here said.
The 30-metre boat, built by Surat-based ABG Shipyard, has a displacement of 90-tonnes and has an endurance of 500 nautical miles at an economical speed of 25 knots. It can achieve a maximum speed of 45 knots for responding to urgent calls at sea.
"The boat, specially designed for close-coast and shallow-water operations, will immensely help to augment the surveillance capability of the Coast Guard on the Gujarat coast," the release said.
Commandant R Vijay is the first commander of the boat, which will be manned by a 12-member crew.
Post-November 2008 Mumbai terror attack, ICG is undergoing a force accretion to augment its surveillance capabilities to meet its enhanced tasks and responsibilities effectively.
The present force level and manpower are planned to be doubled by graduated procurement with proportionate infrastructure development and augmentation of trained manpower.
Nine new ICG stations are planned to be established by 2012 wherein each station will have two interceptor boats to undertake search and rescue, close-coast patrol and respond to fast developing situations at sea.
More assets will be based in these stations depending upon infrastructure and availability of operational logistic support facilities, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH