Newly elected Gujarat MLAs take oath
Gandhinagar: 176 MLAs, including 88 first-timers, besides Chief Minister Narendra Modi and his Cabinet colleagues, took oath in the Gujarat Assembly Tuesday.
Former Chief Ministers Keshubhai Patel and Shankarsinh Vaghela, besides 15 of the 17 members in the Modi cabinet were also among those administered oath by Pro-tem Speaker Neema Acharya.
Among those who could not make it were ministers Purshottam Solanki and Parbat Patel because of illness.
BJP MLA from Sahera Jetha Bharwad failed to come to the House as he was behind bars under attempt to murder charge in a firing incident during the 2012 Assembly polls.
Congress candidate Savita Khant who had won Morva Hadaf Assembly seat in Panchmahal district died after suffering brain hemorrhage.
Earlier, Governor Kamla Beniwal administered oath to Acharya as Pro-tem Speaker.
Among 14 women who took oath today seven are first-timers.
Veteran leaders Vajubhai Vala and Keshubhai Patel took oath as MLA for seventh time whereas Mohan Singh Rathwa, MLA from Chhota Udaipur constituency, took oath for the record ninth time.
Pabubha Manek (Dwarka), Mahendra Mashru (Junagadh), Nitin Patel, Liladhar Vaghela, Natwarsingh Solanki, Vithhal Radadia and Mangubhai Patel took oath for the sixth time.
Father-son duos of Vithhal and Jayesh Radadia and Shankarsinh and Mahendrasinh Vaghela were among those to enter the portals of the House.
Jawahar Chawda and Manisha Vakil took oath in English. The first session of the 182-member House will begin tomorrow after election of the Speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city