NFWF writes to PM to resolve issue of fishermen caught by Pak
Ahmedabad: Concerned over rising cases of Indian fishermen being apprehended off the international waters by Pakistan, the National Fish Workers` Forum has written a letter to the Prime Minister to facilitate a timely solution to the problems faced by them.
"We have written a letter to the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister to look for a timely solution to the problem of Indian fishermen being repeatedly apprehended off the international waters by Pakistan Maritime Security Agency (PMSA)," NFWF national secretary Manish Lodhari said.
A copy of the letter, written to the PM on March 15, has also been sent to Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said.
Among the primary demands made by the Forum in the letter is setting up of a common fishing zone for Indian and Pakistani fishermen, Lodhari said.
A common fishing zone, he highlighted, would allow fishermen from both the countries to fish in the international waters freely.
He said that they have also sought licence for fishing in international waters.
The letter, according to him, also demands that fishermen caught by both the countries should be let off after checking.
"We have also demanded return of boats that have been seized till now by the PMSA. We fear that the seized boats may be used for anti-national purposes," Lodhari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray