NFWF writes to PM to resolve issue of fishermen caught by Pak
Ahmedabad: Concerned over rising cases of Indian fishermen being apprehended off the international waters by Pakistan, the National Fish Workers` Forum has written a letter to the Prime Minister to facilitate a timely solution to the problems faced by them.
"We have written a letter to the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister to look for a timely solution to the problem of Indian fishermen being repeatedly apprehended off the international waters by Pakistan Maritime Security Agency (PMSA)," NFWF national secretary Manish Lodhari said.
A copy of the letter, written to the PM on March 15, has also been sent to Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said.
Among the primary demands made by the Forum in the letter is setting up of a common fishing zone for Indian and Pakistani fishermen, Lodhari said.
A common fishing zone, he highlighted, would allow fishermen from both the countries to fish in the international waters freely.
He said that they have also sought licence for fishing in international waters.
The letter, according to him, also demands that fishermen caught by both the countries should be let off after checking.
"We have also demanded return of boats that have been seized till now by the PMSA. We fear that the seized boats may be used for anti-national purposes," Lodhari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir