NFWF writes to PM to resolve issue of fishermen caught by Pak
Ahmedabad: Concerned over rising cases of Indian fishermen being apprehended off the international waters by Pakistan, the National Fish Workers` Forum has written a letter to the Prime Minister to facilitate a timely solution to the problems faced by them.
"We have written a letter to the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister to look for a timely solution to the problem of Indian fishermen being repeatedly apprehended off the international waters by Pakistan Maritime Security Agency (PMSA)," NFWF national secretary Manish Lodhari said.
A copy of the letter, written to the PM on March 15, has also been sent to Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said.
Among the primary demands made by the Forum in the letter is setting up of a common fishing zone for Indian and Pakistani fishermen, Lodhari said.
A common fishing zone, he highlighted, would allow fishermen from both the countries to fish in the international waters freely.
He said that they have also sought licence for fishing in international waters.
The letter, according to him, also demands that fishermen caught by both the countries should be let off after checking.
"We have also demanded return of boats that have been seized till now by the PMSA. We fear that the seized boats may be used for anti-national purposes," Lodhari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened