NHRC open hearing in Ahmedabad on atrocities against SCs
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) will hold a two-day `open hearing` in Ahmedabad from next Monday on issues relating to alleged atrocities against Scheduled Castes in Gujarat and the problems faced by them in seeking justice.
The delegation will be led by NHRC Chairperson Justice KG Balakrishnan. NHRC Member Justice BC Patel, AK Garg, Registrar (Law) and senior officers of the Commission will be part of the delegation.
The Commission after hearing the affected people will also meet the representatives of NGOs and later on hold discussions with the Chief Secretary, DGP and senior civil, police and jail officials on these issues along with other major outstanding cases pertaining to the State of Gujarat.
The Commission has decided to hold such open hearings to reach out to the Dalits and hear their complaints about violations of their rights by the public authorities as part of the recommendations given by KB Saxena IAS (retd) in his report to NHRC on the continuing problems faced by the Shecduled Castes.
The Commission had organized an `open hearing` at Puri in Odisha in April this year during which more than 200 complaints were received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days