NIA rubbishes reports that Headley had talked about Ishrat
Ahmedabad: National Investigation Agency
(NIA) has said that the reports that David Coleman Headley
(arrested by US agencies for terror links) had talked about
Ishrat Jahan, killed in police encounter in 2004, were
Central government`s counsel, Pankaj Chapaneri, submitted
a letter by NIA in this regard to the Gujarat High Court
The division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha
Kumari had directed the NIA last month to furnish information
about the Ishrat case, as requested by the special
investigation team (SIT).
NIA`s letter was produced in the court by the central
government`s counsel, Pankaj Champaneri.
"Aversion made regarding David Colman Headley making
statement on Ishrat Jahan is purely in the nature of hearsay,
it does not have any evidentiary value," the letter says.
NIA had been given a conditional access to Headley by the
It was widely reported in newspapers last July that David
Headley had told the investigating agency that Ishrat was a
suicide bomber, belonging to the banned outfit
Reports said that Headley had shared this information
with a team of NIA which questioned him at Chicago prison.
Ishrat, along with three others -- Javed Sheikh alias
Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar - was killed
in a police encounter on June 15, 2004.
City crime branch had claimed that the deceased were LET
terrorists who had come to kill Gujarat Chief Minister
But later High Court ordered fresh probe into encounter
by a Special Investigation Team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next