NIA rubbishes reports that Headley had talked about Ishrat
Ahmedabad: National Investigation Agency
(NIA) has said that the reports that David Coleman Headley
(arrested by US agencies for terror links) had talked about
Ishrat Jahan, killed in police encounter in 2004, were
Central government`s counsel, Pankaj Chapaneri, submitted
a letter by NIA in this regard to the Gujarat High Court
The division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha
Kumari had directed the NIA last month to furnish information
about the Ishrat case, as requested by the special
investigation team (SIT).
NIA`s letter was produced in the court by the central
government`s counsel, Pankaj Champaneri.
"Aversion made regarding David Colman Headley making
statement on Ishrat Jahan is purely in the nature of hearsay,
it does not have any evidentiary value," the letter says.
NIA had been given a conditional access to Headley by the
It was widely reported in newspapers last July that David
Headley had told the investigating agency that Ishrat was a
suicide bomber, belonging to the banned outfit
Reports said that Headley had shared this information
with a team of NIA which questioned him at Chicago prison.
Ishrat, along with three others -- Javed Sheikh alias
Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar - was killed
in a police encounter on June 15, 2004.
City crime branch had claimed that the deceased were LET
terrorists who had come to kill Gujarat Chief Minister
But later High Court ordered fresh probe into encounter
by a Special Investigation Team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception