NIA rubbishes reports that Headley had talked about Ishrat
Ahmedabad: National Investigation Agency
(NIA) has said that the reports that David Coleman Headley
(arrested by US agencies for terror links) had talked about
Ishrat Jahan, killed in police encounter in 2004, were
Central government`s counsel, Pankaj Chapaneri, submitted
a letter by NIA in this regard to the Gujarat High Court
The division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha
Kumari had directed the NIA last month to furnish information
about the Ishrat case, as requested by the special
investigation team (SIT).
NIA`s letter was produced in the court by the central
government`s counsel, Pankaj Champaneri.
"Aversion made regarding David Colman Headley making
statement on Ishrat Jahan is purely in the nature of hearsay,
it does not have any evidentiary value," the letter says.
NIA had been given a conditional access to Headley by the
It was widely reported in newspapers last July that David
Headley had told the investigating agency that Ishrat was a
suicide bomber, belonging to the banned outfit
Reports said that Headley had shared this information
with a team of NIA which questioned him at Chicago prison.
Ishrat, along with three others -- Javed Sheikh alias
Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar - was killed
in a police encounter on June 15, 2004.
City crime branch had claimed that the deceased were LET
terrorists who had come to kill Gujarat Chief Minister
But later High Court ordered fresh probe into encounter
by a Special Investigation Team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read