Nine Gujarat cops booked in custodial death case
Ahmedabad: Nine policemen have been booked in connection with a case of an alleged custodial death of a thief here, police said Friday.
"We have registered a criminal case against nine policemen, including a police sub-inspector, in the suspicious death of Raju alias Kanti Thakkar, whose body was found lying on Sabarmati river bed yesterday," Sardarnagar police station Inspector Vanraj Sarvaiyya said.
Thakkar, a small-time thief, was taken into custody on Wednesday for interrogation by Sardarnagar police from a gambling den in Sarangpur area and handed over to Sector II police surveillance squad, police said.
"He was kept in custody at Ajit Mills police chowky, which comes under Rakhial police, for a day," sources said.
Yesterday, the City Police Control room received a phone call from a man, who gave his name as Vithhal Pattani, informing about a body lying on the Sabarmati river bed near Hansol.
Sardarnagar police later identified the deceased as Raju Thakkar, police said.
Today, after getting information about Thakkar, his wife Asha rushed to the Sardarnagar police station with his advocate and relatives and alleged that his husband had died in police custody.
"He was detained by police while he was gambling. But no case or entry has been registered against him. And now he is dead. Police have tortured him to death," Asha alleged while talking to media.
"We have registered a case against nine policemen under sections 342 (wrongful confinement), 201 (causing disappearance of evidence) and 114 (abettor present when offence committed) of Indian Penal Code(IPC)," said Sarvaiyya.
However, Thakkar`s family raised a strong protest against
the police actions and demanded registration of a case of murder.
"We want a case to be registered for murder (under section 302 of IPC) against all policemen and till then we are not going to take the possession of my husband`s body," said Asha.
"Thakkar`s body has been sent to Ahmedabad Civil Hospital for post mortem and after receiving the report we will take further action," a police official said.
No arrests have been made in the case yet.
Those booked in the case include - sub-inspector B R Patel, head constables Bhadresh Ajitsinh, Kanji Badaji, Dharmendra Dolatsinh, Mukeshsinh, assistant sub-inspector Narendra Vijaysinh (all from Sardarnagar police station), ASI Ashok Bhatt, and constables Dhiraj Desai (of surveillance squad) and Jagdish Chaudhary (Naroda police station).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH