`No reservation for child if father from upper caste`
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has ruled that
a child born out of wedlock between a man from upper caste
and a woman belonging to Scheduled Tribe is not eligible for
the benefit of reservation.
A division bench of Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhyay and
Justice A S Dave passed the order recently while hearing a
petition of one Ramesh Naika.
Naika had challenged the order passed by a single bench
judge who had upheld the decision of Panchmahal district
officials to cancel his caste certificate after realisation
that he was born of an upper caste father.
"It is settled law that a candidate who had the
advantageous start in life being born in forward caste and had
much of an advantageous life.... but is transplanted in
backward caste by adoption or marriage or conversion, does not
become eligible to the benefit of reservation under the
Constitution of India," the court order said.
"The appellant (Naika) was born of a forward caste father
and, under the Hindu law, inherited his caste from his father
and not his mother who was a Scheduled Tribe and, thereby,
appellant had not undergone indignities which a Schedule Caste
or Scheduled Tribe suffers," the court observed.
Naika had contended that he was born and brought up in a
tribal society because his father was ex-communicated from his
society (after marrying a tribal girl).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA