No tickets to those who lost polls twice: Congress
Ahmedabad: Congress on Wednesday decided not to give tickets to candidates who lost Assembly Elections twice earlier in Gujarat or those who lost the last Assembly Elections by margins of more than 15,000 votes, party sources said.
This decision was taken at a Congress screening committee meeting held in New Delhi under the chairmanship of Union Road Transport and Highways Minister C P Joshi, in which state leaders were also present.
The committee which also comprises Union Minister of State for Petroleum R P N Singh, Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadia and leader of opposition of state Shaktisinh Gohil, has been formed by the party high command to select candidates for the Gujarat state assembly elections scheduled to be held by the year end.
The Congress has already prepared a list of probable candidates for each of the 182 Assembly seats of the state where elections will be held for the first time after delimitation.
"The other decision taken by the committee is that a person who fought elections at panchyat or municipality level in constituencies will be given preference for tickets," party sources said.
The party has also decided to give maximum tickets to youth, women, professionals and those with higher education, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan