No tickets to those who lost polls twice: Congress
Ahmedabad: Congress on Wednesday decided not to give tickets to candidates who lost Assembly Elections twice earlier in Gujarat or those who lost the last Assembly Elections by margins of more than 15,000 votes, party sources said.
This decision was taken at a Congress screening committee meeting held in New Delhi under the chairmanship of Union Road Transport and Highways Minister C P Joshi, in which state leaders were also present.
The committee which also comprises Union Minister of State for Petroleum R P N Singh, Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadia and leader of opposition of state Shaktisinh Gohil, has been formed by the party high command to select candidates for the Gujarat state assembly elections scheduled to be held by the year end.
The Congress has already prepared a list of probable candidates for each of the 182 Assembly seats of the state where elections will be held for the first time after delimitation.
"The other decision taken by the committee is that a person who fought elections at panchyat or municipality level in constituencies will be given preference for tickets," party sources said.
The party has also decided to give maximum tickets to youth, women, professionals and those with higher education, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- India to test sub-scale demonstrator scramjet engine in 2016
- PSBs capital needs significantly higher than budgeted: Moody's
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar's daughter in trauma after BSP workers abuse her
- Samsung hits back at China's Huawei with patent suit
- India ranks 110th on Sustainable Development index