No tickets to those who lost polls twice: Congress
Ahmedabad: Congress on Wednesday decided not to give tickets to candidates who lost Assembly Elections twice earlier in Gujarat or those who lost the last Assembly Elections by margins of more than 15,000 votes, party sources said.
This decision was taken at a Congress screening committee meeting held in New Delhi under the chairmanship of Union Road Transport and Highways Minister C P Joshi, in which state leaders were also present.
The committee which also comprises Union Minister of State for Petroleum R P N Singh, Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadia and leader of opposition of state Shaktisinh Gohil, has been formed by the party high command to select candidates for the Gujarat state assembly elections scheduled to be held by the year end.
The Congress has already prepared a list of probable candidates for each of the 182 Assembly seats of the state where elections will be held for the first time after delimitation.
"The other decision taken by the committee is that a person who fought elections at panchyat or municipality level in constituencies will be given preference for tickets," party sources said.
The party has also decided to give maximum tickets to youth, women, professionals and those with higher education, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack