NRI rape case: Gujarat HC issues notice to Govt on CBI probe
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday issued notice to the State Government on a petition demanding a CBI probe into alleged rape of a US-based NRI woman in police custody.
The plea has been filed by the NRI woman, who has alleged she was raped by Gujarat CID officials when she was in police custody in a land grabbing case.
"It`s been more than ten days since she lodged a complaint, but police have not even bothered to register an FIR against the culprits. This confirms her belief that she is not going to get justice if probe is in the hands of Gujarat Police," argued B B Nayak, counsel for the NRI woman.
Justice R H Shukla also asked the Inspector of the city`s Meghaninagar police station, where the woman had lodged the complaint, to submit his reply through an affidavit and fixed the next hearing of the case on July 30.
The woman, an accused in a case of land grabbing near Vadodara, had filed the complaint on July 14 alleging she was raped by CID officials and a co-accused after her arrest in June. CID is probing the land grabbing case.
An officer of rank of Additional Director General of Police was also involved in the incident, she had alleged.
Authorities decided to conduct a probe before lodging an FIR and forwarded her complaint to Women Cell headed by Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Parikshita Rathore.
During the hearing today, the HC sought to know why the woman had not mentioned about the "rape" incident to the Magistrate`s court when she was produced before it at the end of her remand period.
To this, the petitioner`s advocate submitted that during the remand period, she was threatened by higher police authorities with dire consequences if she revealed anything in the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon