Obscene paintings of Hindu Gods removed from exhibition
Vadodara: Paintings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, alleged to be "obscene", were on Friday removed from the exhibition hall of the Fine Arts faculty at the Maharaja Sayajirao University (MSU) here, after VHP activists opposed its display and lodged a complaint in this regard.
Vice Chancellor of MSU, Yogesh Singh said, "Nobody has the right to hurt sentiments of any community. These paintings were hurting the religious feelings of people that is why University took this action."
Surjeet Singh, an artist from Jammu, had organised this exhibition of paintings from December 27-30 after seeking permission from authorities of the faculty about a year ago.
The catalogue carrying the pictures of paintings submitted by the artist, did not included these `objectionable` ones.
However, the paintings displayed in the exhibition since yesterday, included those "obscene" pictures of Lord Shiva carrying a liquor bottle, another of Shiva and his wife Parvati moving on a motorbike.
On learning about it, a VHP activist and former general secretary of city unit of BJP Niraj Jain and his supporters reached the venue of the exhibition this morning and began protests, seeking withdrawal of the paintings.
Later, Jain lodged a complaint against the artist at Sayajigunj police station under 153 A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence language etc), 295 (Deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings) and 114 (abettor present when offence is committed) of IPC.
Following this, police inspector A B Saiyed rushed to the fine arts faculty to investigate the case. Meanwhile, VC Prof Singh also reached there and ordered removal of the "obscene" paintings from the exhibition.
However, the artist was not present in the exhibition hall when his paintings were removed.
The MS University authorities have ordered an enquiry into the incident.
Earlier, Chandra Mohan, a student from the same fine arts faculty was arrested on charges of hurting the religious sentiments by painting Hindu Gods and Goddesses and Jesus Christ allegedly in an `obscene` way on May 10, 2007.
Mohan, a post-graduate student of Fine Arts at M S University and winner of last year`s Lalit Kala Academy award, had been charged under IPC section 153 and 114 after his arrest from the varsity premises for displaying his works at the institution`s annual exhibition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly