One dead in fire at 8-story commercial complex in Surat
Surat: One person died while 13 others were injured when a fire broke out in an eight-storey commercial complex in Saroli area of the city this evening.
According to fire brigade officials, an unidentified man, rescued from the building, was declared dead at the hospital.
Fire started on the sixth and the seventh floors of Landmark Empire building, which houses one of the biggest textile markets in Surat.
"We declared `brigade call`, asking all the available resources to reach the spot. Our operation to douse the fire is still on," said the official.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire broke out at around 6 PM. The fire brigade officers were yet to know about the cause of fire. It is also not known how many persons could be trapped inside.
"We are also rescuing people who are trapped inside. Till now, we have rescued more than 100 persons," said a fire brigade official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured