One dead in fire at 8-story commercial complex in Surat
Surat: One person died while 13 others were injured when a fire broke out in an eight-storey commercial complex in Saroli area of the city this evening.
According to fire brigade officials, an unidentified man, rescued from the building, was declared dead at the hospital.
Fire started on the sixth and the seventh floors of Landmark Empire building, which houses one of the biggest textile markets in Surat.
"We declared `brigade call`, asking all the available resources to reach the spot. Our operation to douse the fire is still on," said the official.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire broke out at around 6 PM. The fire brigade officers were yet to know about the cause of fire. It is also not known how many persons could be trapped inside.
"We are also rescuing people who are trapped inside. Till now, we have rescued more than 100 persons," said a fire brigade official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men