One dead in fire at 8-story commercial complex in Surat
Surat: One person died while 13 others were injured when a fire broke out in an eight-storey commercial complex in Saroli area of the city this evening.
According to fire brigade officials, an unidentified man, rescued from the building, was declared dead at the hospital.
Fire started on the sixth and the seventh floors of Landmark Empire building, which houses one of the biggest textile markets in Surat.
"We declared `brigade call`, asking all the available resources to reach the spot. Our operation to douse the fire is still on," said the official.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire broke out at around 6 PM. The fire brigade officers were yet to know about the cause of fire. It is also not known how many persons could be trapped inside.
"We are also rescuing people who are trapped inside. Till now, we have rescued more than 100 persons," said a fire brigade official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre