Order on Bhatt `s bail plea reserved till Oct 17
Ahmedabad: A local court here on Wednesday reserved
the order on bail plea of the suspended and arrested IPS
officer Sanjiv Bhatt till October 17.
Sessions Judge V K Vyas, after hearing the arguments of
special public prosecutor S V Raju and Bhatt`s advocate I H
Syed, reserved the order on bail till October 17.
During the hearing, which was stretched over a week`s
period, Bhatt`s advocate Syed contended that his client`s
arrest was politically motivated.
He argued that the arrest was also aimed at getting hold
of and destroying the alleged evidence he had against Gujarat
chief minister Narendra Modi with regard to the 2002 communal
Syed had further contended that the complaint, on which
Bhatt was arrested, was false and was filed with an ulterior
motive, at the behest of some political functionaries and
senior police officers.
He had said that the complainant K D Pant, who had
alleged that Bhatt had threatened him and forced him to sign
false affidavits, appeared to be acting as a ploy at the
dictates of political members of the state government.
Syed said that most of the sections of IPC, under which,
Bhatt was charged were bailable and should be given bail.
State government`s senior counsel Raju, while opposing
Bhatt`s bail contended that Bhatt did not deserve bail, as he
was a habitual offender with criminal antecedents.
To support his claims, Raju highlighted other criminal
cases against him in various courts, which included case of
police torture in custody registered in 1994 in Porbandar, and
a case under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substance (NDPS)
Act, which is pending against Bhatt in Pali, Rajasthan since
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical