Over 250 women protesting against Nirma cement plant detained
Gandhinagar: Over 250 women protesting against the upcoming cement plant of Nirma Ltd in Bhavnagar district were detained by the police Friday.
We have detained over 250 women who tried to take out
a march toward the state assembly, Gandhinagar police control
room officials said.
Nirma Ltd. is building a cement plant with a capacity
of 1.91 million tonnes per annum, along with its captive power
and coke oven plant, near Padhiarka village in Mahuva taluka
of Bhavnagar district.
The women, protesting against the plant, alleged that the plant is being built on a natural water body and if allowed to be constructed would destroy their agriculture and animal husbandry besides causing "irreparable" damage to the environment.
Yesterday, around 5,000 farmers, who had walked over 350 km from Dholiya village of Mahuva taluka of Bhavnagar, to
Gandhinagar submitted a memorandum to chief minister Narendra
Modi requesting cancellation of permission granted to the
The farmers are staying put in Gandhingar and today
morning the women of the group proceeded toward the assembly.
"The women were stopped near Pathik Ashram in the
state capital and more than 250 of them were detained," police
officials said adding that they have been kept in Gandhinagar
police headquarters and will be released later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information