Over 250 women protesting against Nirma cement plant detained
Gandhinagar: Over 250 women protesting against the upcoming cement plant of Nirma Ltd in Bhavnagar district were detained by the police Friday.
We have detained over 250 women who tried to take out
a march toward the state assembly, Gandhinagar police control
room officials said.
Nirma Ltd. is building a cement plant with a capacity
of 1.91 million tonnes per annum, along with its captive power
and coke oven plant, near Padhiarka village in Mahuva taluka
of Bhavnagar district.
The women, protesting against the plant, alleged that the plant is being built on a natural water body and if allowed to be constructed would destroy their agriculture and animal husbandry besides causing "irreparable" damage to the environment.
Yesterday, around 5,000 farmers, who had walked over 350 km from Dholiya village of Mahuva taluka of Bhavnagar, to
Gandhinagar submitted a memorandum to chief minister Narendra
Modi requesting cancellation of permission granted to the
The farmers are staying put in Gandhingar and today
morning the women of the group proceeded toward the assembly.
"The women were stopped near Pathik Ashram in the
state capital and more than 250 of them were detained," police
officials said adding that they have been kept in Gandhinagar
police headquarters and will be released later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown