Over Rs 5,000 crore worth power generated from Narmada
Ahmedabad: Over 1200 MW of Power worth
over Rs 5,000 crore has been generated from the hydro power
project on Narmada.
Gujarat irrigation minister Nitin Patel, in a
statement, said that all the turbines at the dam are
operational and generating electricity.
Patel said that Gujarat gets 19 per cent of total
power generated from the hydro power plant while Madhya
Pradesh gets 57 per cent and remaining 24 per cent goes to
According to the minister, the central government has
provided Rs 5391 crore as grant under accelerated irrigation
benefit programme (AIBP) from 1996-97 to the last year.
"The canal works for branch canals, minor canals, sub
minor canals and distributory canals are under way in the
command area," he said, adding that the government wants to
complete the project at the earliest.
Moreover, he said that tenders will be invited soon to
build remaining canal network to take the water to parched
Incidentally, Comptroller and Auditor General of
India (CAG), in the report tabled in the state assembly
recently, had found huge irregularities in the Sardar
Sarowar narmada Nigam Ltd (SSNNL), which implements the
The audit authority found that more than Rs 1800 crore
recieved under AIBP and meant to be used for the development
of command area, was diverted and used for other purpose.
The CAG also found the irrigation project was slowly
being converted into a drinking water project and only 20 per
cent of the canal was completed after spending more than Rs
Only 1.20 lakh hectare area was brought under
irrigation, reported the CAG in the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan