Pandya murder: CBI mulling to challenge HC order
New Delhi: The CBI is considering to
challenge in the Supreme Court the Gujarat High Court order
acquitting 12 accused in the Haren Pandya murder case.
The high court in its August 29 order partly allowed the
appeals of the 12 accused, acquitting them from the charges of
murder while convicting them under section of criminal
conspiracy, attempt to murder of IPC and relevant sections of
Arms Act and POTA.
"The high court order is being examined by CBI for filing
a Special Leave Petition in the Supreme Court against the
order of the Gujarat High Court for partial acquittal of the
accused persons," CBI spokesperson Dharini Mishra said here
The former Gujarat home minister was shot dead on March
26, 2003 from a close range in Law Garden area of Ahmedabad
and CBI took over investigation of the case.
"Prior to this offence, an attempt was made on the life
of a local VHP leader named Jagdish Tewari on March 11, 2003,"
According to Mishra, during investigation, CBI arrested
15 accused persons and on interrogation, it emerged that these
two incidents were part of a single conspiracy to spread
terror among people in the aftermath of the post-Godhra riots.
"The offenders were illegally sent to Pakistan by
absconding accused Rasul Parti and Mufti Sufiyan Patangia
(currently based in Pakistan) and trained at the behest of ISI
of Pakistan," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez