Parliament Attack: Gujarat HC rejects CRPF jawan`s plea for award
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has rejected a plea filed by a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan, who had played a role in fighting against the `2001 terror attack` on the Indian Parliament, demanding an award of Rs 50,000 as announced by the Lok Sabha speaker.
The two-judge bench of the High Court comprising Justice Akil Qureshi and justice Mohinder Pal had rejected the CRPF jawan Mafatlal Makwana`s plea on Wednesday, due to contradictory versions of the incident from the petitioner and the union government.
The division bench observed in its judgement, that the court cannot go into such highly disputed facts in a writ petition. The court observed that the Central government could take a decision on Makwana`s representations.
The petitioner Mafatlal Makwana, who hails from Sonarkui village of Dholka taluka of Ahmedabad district, had filed the plea in the year 2005.
As per his petition, Makwana was posted at Gate Number 5 on December 13, 2001 when the five terrorists allegedly made a ghastly attack on Parliament.
Makwana had also sought that he should be awarded with the Shaurya Chakra, for protecting parliamentarians.
Makwana claimed in his petition that he had confronted the terrorists and fired 18 rounds at them, after they tried to enter the Parliament, firing indiscriminately.
Responding to Makwana`s petition, the additional DIG of the CRPF, had stated that the award for the brave act of 76 personnel was announced by the government, but that decision was cancelled in February 2002.
Makwana took voluntary retirement from service in the year 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in