Petition filed in Guj HC seeking review of Ishrat case order
Ahmedabad: A petition was filed in
Gujarat High Court today seeking review of its order of
transferring the investigation into the killing of Ishrat
Jahan in an alleged fake police encounter to Special
Investigation Team (SIT) probing some of the 2002 riot cases.
The petition was filed by Gopinath Pillai, father of
Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai who was one
of the three persons killed in the alleged fake police
encounter along with Ishrat in June 2004.
A division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha
Kumari had on August 12 ordered the transfer of the probe in
the encounter of Ishrat, an alleged LeT operative, and three
others to the Supreme Court-appointed SIT.
They had also rejected plea of Gopinath and Ishrat`s
mother Shamima Kausar, for a CBI inquiry into the case.
In the petition, Gopinath has sought a review of the
court`s order of August 12 and demanded a CBI inquiry in the
In its order last week, the court had observed that there
was no material on record to conclude that the encounter was
with malafide intentions and, therefore, the plea for a
CBI inquiry was not granted.
But it agreed that the probe done by police officers was
not satisfactory and the genuineness of the encounter deserved
further investigation and transferred the case to SIT to
`instil confidence and credibility in the investigations.`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena