`Petition of IPS officer Rahul Sharma rejected`
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Friday rejected
IPS officer Rahul Sharma`s petition seeking details of the
grounds on which he was served a show cause notice by the
state government in February this year over providing phone
call records related to the 2002 riots.
Justice Abhilasha Kumari, hearing the case, said the
court did not find it appropriate to interfere when an
alternative statutory provision for appeal was available to
The petition also does not disclose violation of any
fundamental rights of the petitioner, the court added.
Sharma, a DIG rank officer, was served the show cause
notice by the state Home department on February 5, asking why
he should not be chargesheeted for giving CDs containing the
2002 riots phone call records to various agencies, including
the Nanavati Commission and the SIT, without government
In his petition filed yesterday, Sharma said when he
asked the state government on what grounds was he issued a
show cause on the matter, it refused to give him information
regarding the same.
During the proceedings, Justice Kumari observed that some
of the directions sought by Sharma were related to the show
cause notice and it pertained to service matters.
She declined to entertain these prayers saying that she
was not assigned to deal with service matters.
Following this, Sharma`s lawyer Mukul Sinha said he would
not like to press for those prayers relating to service
matters and sought permission of the court to approach the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre