Petition seeks CBI probe in Rajkot family immolation case
Ahmedabad: A petition made in the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday sought CBI probe in the case of immolation committed by five members of a family in Rajkot last week.
However, Justice S R Brahmabhatt suggested that the petitioner should file a public interest litigation on the issue since he was not an affected party and his prayer could be heard if he filed a PIL.
The petitioner, George Joseph Dias, later withdrew his plea and has decided to file a PIL.
On April 3, five member of a Nepalese family, allegedly frustrated over the authorities` pressure to demolish their house, poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in front of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner`s office.
Three of them died on the same day while two members succumbed to their burn injuries few days later.
Dias, a local social activist, claimed in his petition that, he was "shocked to know that though five persons committed self-immolation in front of the Municipal Commissioner`s office, he did not care to inform the local police or police commissioner."
"Due to the indifferent attitude of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner, five members of a same family lost their lives...By not calling the police, he has committed offence under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC," he said.
There was a huge outcry over the incident and Opposition parties - Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party - also observed `Rajkot Bandh` with the demand to take action against those responsible for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi