Petition seeks CBI probe in Rajkot family immolation case
Ahmedabad: A petition made in the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday sought CBI probe in the case of immolation committed by five members of a family in Rajkot last week.
However, Justice S R Brahmabhatt suggested that the petitioner should file a public interest litigation on the issue since he was not an affected party and his prayer could be heard if he filed a PIL.
The petitioner, George Joseph Dias, later withdrew his plea and has decided to file a PIL.
On April 3, five member of a Nepalese family, allegedly frustrated over the authorities` pressure to demolish their house, poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in front of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner`s office.
Three of them died on the same day while two members succumbed to their burn injuries few days later.
Dias, a local social activist, claimed in his petition that, he was "shocked to know that though five persons committed self-immolation in front of the Municipal Commissioner`s office, he did not care to inform the local police or police commissioner."
"Due to the indifferent attitude of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner, five members of a same family lost their lives...By not calling the police, he has committed offence under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC," he said.
There was a huge outcry over the incident and Opposition parties - Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party - also observed `Rajkot Bandh` with the demand to take action against those responsible for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre