Petition seeks CBI probe in Rajkot family immolation case
Ahmedabad: A petition made in the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday sought CBI probe in the case of immolation committed by five members of a family in Rajkot last week.
However, Justice S R Brahmabhatt suggested that the petitioner should file a public interest litigation on the issue since he was not an affected party and his prayer could be heard if he filed a PIL.
The petitioner, George Joseph Dias, later withdrew his plea and has decided to file a PIL.
On April 3, five member of a Nepalese family, allegedly frustrated over the authorities` pressure to demolish their house, poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in front of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner`s office.
Three of them died on the same day while two members succumbed to their burn injuries few days later.
Dias, a local social activist, claimed in his petition that, he was "shocked to know that though five persons committed self-immolation in front of the Municipal Commissioner`s office, he did not care to inform the local police or police commissioner."
"Due to the indifferent attitude of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner, five members of a same family lost their lives...By not calling the police, he has committed offence under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC," he said.
There was a huge outcry over the incident and Opposition parties - Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party - also observed `Rajkot Bandh` with the demand to take action against those responsible for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi