Petition seeks CBI probe in Rajkot family immolation case
Ahmedabad: A petition made in the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday sought CBI probe in the case of immolation committed by five members of a family in Rajkot last week.
However, Justice S R Brahmabhatt suggested that the petitioner should file a public interest litigation on the issue since he was not an affected party and his prayer could be heard if he filed a PIL.
The petitioner, George Joseph Dias, later withdrew his plea and has decided to file a PIL.
On April 3, five member of a Nepalese family, allegedly frustrated over the authorities` pressure to demolish their house, poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in front of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner`s office.
Three of them died on the same day while two members succumbed to their burn injuries few days later.
Dias, a local social activist, claimed in his petition that, he was "shocked to know that though five persons committed self-immolation in front of the Municipal Commissioner`s office, he did not care to inform the local police or police commissioner."
"Due to the indifferent attitude of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner, five members of a same family lost their lives...By not calling the police, he has committed offence under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC," he said.
There was a huge outcry over the incident and Opposition parties - Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party - also observed `Rajkot Bandh` with the demand to take action against those responsible for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'