Petition seeks CBI probe in Rajkot family immolation case
Ahmedabad: A petition made in the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday sought CBI probe in the case of immolation committed by five members of a family in Rajkot last week.
However, Justice S R Brahmabhatt suggested that the petitioner should file a public interest litigation on the issue since he was not an affected party and his prayer could be heard if he filed a PIL.
The petitioner, George Joseph Dias, later withdrew his plea and has decided to file a PIL.
On April 3, five member of a Nepalese family, allegedly frustrated over the authorities` pressure to demolish their house, poured kerosene and set themselves on fire in front of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner`s office.
Three of them died on the same day while two members succumbed to their burn injuries few days later.
Dias, a local social activist, claimed in his petition that, he was "shocked to know that though five persons committed self-immolation in front of the Municipal Commissioner`s office, he did not care to inform the local police or police commissioner."
"Due to the indifferent attitude of Rajkot Municipal Commissioner, five members of a same family lost their lives...By not calling the police, he has committed offence under section 305 (abetment to suicide) of IPC," he said.
There was a huge outcry over the incident and Opposition parties - Congress and Gujarat Parivartan Party - also observed `Rajkot Bandh` with the demand to take action against those responsible for the incident.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs