PIL in Gujarat HC seeks removal of Governor
Ahmedabad: A PIL has been filed in the
Gujarat High Court demanding the recall of Governor Kamla
Beniwal, saying that due process of law had not been followed
in her appointment.
The PIL has been filed by Lucknow-based lawyer Asok Pande
who claims to be president of `Hindu Personal Law Board`.
Pande has sought quashing of appointment, or a direction
to the President and the Prime Minister to recall her.
The petition would come up for hearing in 1-2 days, he
It contends that Beniwal was appointed without obtaining
the approval of the Narendra Modi government, which was
contrary to basic tenets of the Constitution.
The respondents in the PIL are the President, the Prime
Minister, the Union Home Secretary, the Gujarat government and
Citing the recent appointment of Gujarat Lokayukta in
which Beniwal allegedly bypassed the state government, the
petition said it shows that the Governor had crossed the
limits of democratic framework.
This action of the Governor was "unconstitutional", Pande
The petition also claims that process of appointment of
the Governor by the President "on the recommendation of Home
Ministry was unconstitutional".
The reading of the Constituent Assembly debates makes it
clear that the matter of appointment/ removal of Governor was
in the purview of only the Prime Minister and the President,
the PIL said.
According to the petitioner, the candidate for the post
should be finalised by the Prime Minister and the President.
But currently, the process starts with the Ministry of Home
Affairs, the PIL states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow