PIL on Sonia`s photos: Guj HC seeks Centre`s reply
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday sought a reply from the Centre on a PIL seeking ban on government advertisements carrying photos of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
A division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala asked the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to file the reply within a week.
Petitioner Dhaval Shah, a city resident, has taken objection to the advertisements titled `Twenty Point Programme and Central Sector Projects - Contributing to Gujarat`s Overall Development`, which also feature Sonia`s pictures.
Shah, who has filed the petition through advocates Vijay Patel and Avani Thakar, contends that a party president is not a Constitutional position, and as Sonia Gandhi does not hold any official position, government advertisements should not carry her pictures.
"In every publication of the Central government, the photograph of Sonia Gandhi is prominently projected. These photographs are advertised from the funds of the Central government," argued advocate Patel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi