PIL on Sonia`s photos: Guj HC seeks Centre`s reply
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday sought a reply from the Centre on a PIL seeking ban on government advertisements carrying photos of UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
A division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala asked the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to file the reply within a week.
Petitioner Dhaval Shah, a city resident, has taken objection to the advertisements titled `Twenty Point Programme and Central Sector Projects - Contributing to Gujarat`s Overall Development`, which also feature Sonia`s pictures.
Shah, who has filed the petition through advocates Vijay Patel and Avani Thakar, contends that a party president is not a Constitutional position, and as Sonia Gandhi does not hold any official position, government advertisements should not carry her pictures.
"In every publication of the Central government, the photograph of Sonia Gandhi is prominently projected. These photographs are advertised from the funds of the Central government," argued advocate Patel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand