Plan to install 300 CCTV cameras in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: Following the terror attacks in Mumbai recently, Ahmedabad police has decided to install 300 CCTV cameras at over 100 important locations across the city.
In order to roll out the project, there is a plan to form a citizen`s security trust, which will raise funds.
"With the recent terror attacks in Mumbai, we feel that there is a an urgent need to have a network of CCTV cameras in a city like Ahmedabad, which has always been on the terror
target," Police commissioner S K Sinha told a news agency.
"The government procedure takes time, but we require the CCTV network to be installed at the earliest. Therefore, we plan to form `Ahmedabad Citizen Security Trust (ACST)`, which
would fund the project for the initial three years, after which, it would be merged into the government programme," Sinha said.
"The funds raised through donations would be used only for the purpose of installing CCTV cameras across the city at over 100 locations," he added.
Under the project, the ACST would hire services of BSNL, which will install 300 CCTV cameras at over 100 important locations across the city, including the entry-exit points,
malls, sensitive areas, railway stations, bus stops and airports.
"Images from the CCTV cameras would be transmitted through 3G broadband network to the police control room, from where, monitoring would be done," Sinha said.
He added that the cameras would not only help in case of terror attacks, but also in the detection of local crime and traffic related offenses.
The police commissioner said that such systems need to be installed immediately, considering the terror threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank