Plea on Narendra Modi`s poll affidavit: Court seeks Gujarat`s reply
Ahmedabad: A local court on Thursday asked the Gujarat government to file a reply on an application challenging a magistrate`s order dismissing a plea seeking registration of a case against Narendra Modi for not disclosing his marital status in his 2012 election affidavit.
Additional sessions judge GN Rana issued notice to the state and posted the further hearing on September 20. He was hearing the revision application of Aam Aadmi Party member Nishant Verma.
The magistrate had dismissed Verma`s application as it had been filed after a one-year delay.
However, additional chief judicial magistrate MM Sheikh of Ahmedabad rural court had also said in his June 30 order that offence under Section 125(A)(3) of Representation of People Act had been committed by non-disclosure of marital status in the affidavit.
The section deals with penalty for concealing information while filing affidavit. The offence attracts up to six months` jail term. But the magistrate said that according to the Criminal Procedure Code, the complaint should have been filed within one year of the offence.
Verma`s lawyer, advocate KR Koshti, today argued that he had sought registration of first information report within a year.
"Information regarding Modi`s marital status was made available on April 10 (this year) when he filed nomination papers for Vadodara Lok Sabha seat, and on the same day Verma intimated the authorities about the discrepancies in affidavits," Koshti argued.
Verma had moved the magistrate`s court after Ranip police station here declined to register FIR against Modi.
Modi disclosed his marital status and the name of his wife (Jashodaben) for the first time during this year`s Lok Sabha elections. When he contested Gujarat Assembly polls in 2012, he had left the column on information about spouse blank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000