`PM has given new definition to Indian democracy`
Bhuj (Guj): Taking a dig at Manmohan Singh for allowing FDI in multi-brand retail and attacking him on being silent on Assam violence, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Friday said the Prime Minister has altered the definition of Indian democracy to "of the foreigners, by the foreigners and for the foreigners."
"Now onwards pen, pencils, notebooks would not be sold by your neighbourhood shopkeeper but some `Gora`(foreigner). So, local traders and retailers will lose employment," Modi said here while addressing a large gathering at Vivekananda Youth Convention here in Kutch district.
"Former US President Abraham Lincoln gave world famous definition of democracy --`of the people, by the people and for the people`--, but our Manmohan Singhji has given us a new definition --`of the foreigners, by the foreigners, for the foreigners`," he said.
He alleged that the decision to allow Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi brand retail has been taken when there is no level playing field between global manufacturers and domestic producers, facilitating the foreigners.
"This Congress-led government has overnight introduced FDI in retail, keeping Parliament in dark and have broken the promises it has given on the floor of the House," he added.
Modi also blamed the Prime Minister for not taking effective steps to control violence, inspite of him being elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam.
"Bangladeshis, who are foreigners, have started asserting their rights in Assam and our Prime Minster who is also elected from Assam is silent," he alleged.
"If you put these two issues, violence in Assam by foreigners and allowing FDI in retail together it clearly shows central government`s love for foreigners," he alleged.
Modi was accompanied by senior BJP leader L K Advani at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble