Police ban broadcast of riot footage on Godhra judgement day
Ahmedabad: The city police on Saturday restricted
the media from telecasting and printing the 2002 riots-related
footages and photographs on February 22, the day when the
court will pronounce its verdict in the Godhra train carnage
that triggered large-scale communal violence nine years ago.
"The notification restricts electronic media from
broadcasting 2002 riot-related file footages and also
restricts print media from publishing any riot-related
photographs on February 22 and 23," Joint Commissioner of
Police Satish Sharma said.
"Non-compliance of the notification could lead to
prosecution," he warned.
Police have also imposed Section 144 of CrPC in the city
prohibiting any kind of public gatherings and rallies.
Special judge PR Patel, who presided over the trial
court set up inside the high-security Sabarmati Central Jail
here, will deliver the verdict in the nine-year-old incident.
With a view to maintain peace, the police have made
elaborate security arrangements on the judgement day.
"Vigil shall be intensified on all the sensitive points
in the city. Close to 10,000 police personnel shall be
deployed, including 20 companies of SRPF (around 2,000 men)
and one company of Rapid Action Force," Sharma said.
One platoon of SRPF (around 30 personnel) has been
deployed at the jail, the venue where the judgement will be
pronounced, and vigil shall be maintained on people visiting
the prisoners, he said.
"Fifteen Police Control Room (PCR) vans will be
positioned at strategic locations. Three Quick Reaction Teams
(QRTs) have also been deployed," he said.
Sharma appealed to the people to refrain from rumour
mongering and report any trouble witnessed in their respective
localities to the Police Control Room.
On February 27, 2002, 58 people, mainly karsevaks
returning from Ayodhya, were burnt to death when a mob set
ablaze to S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra station,
around 120 km from Ahmedabad.
The trial against 94 accused, all lodged in the jail
since, began in June 2009. They have been charged with murder
and criminal conspiracy.
The train burning had triggered riots across the state
in which over 1,000 people, mainly from the minority
community, were killed.
Similar notification of ban on broadcast of riot-
related footages by electronic media has also been issued in
Panchmahal district under which Godhra town falls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo