Police lathicharge to control mob in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: Several rounds of tear gas shells
were lobbed and lathi-charge used to control a stone-pelting
mob agitating against an alleged brothel being run from a
local guest house in Gomatipur area, police said.
Police have arrested Mahendrasinh Tahkore, manager of the
"Police had to cane charge and fire tear gas shells to
control the mob which set on fire a vehicle and started stone
pelting the guest house.
We have been told that in the past the house was being
used as a brothel and it had restarted similar activity
recently, leading to uproar in the vicinity," Joint
Commissioner of Police Atul Karwal said.
Protesters alleged Ambika guest house was being used for
prostitution and started pelting stones at it, the police said
adding that the car of the owner of the guest house was also
"The situation is now under control. We have arrested the
owners of the guest house. We shall investigate the incident,"
Fire brigade officials were also called after a vehicle
was torched by the mob, police said.
"As a precautionary measure additional state reserve
police force has been deployed in the locality," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti
- Performance issues led to my ouster as Flipkart CEO, says Sachin Bansal