Police lathicharge to control mob in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: Several rounds of tear gas shells
were lobbed and lathi-charge used to control a stone-pelting
mob agitating against an alleged brothel being run from a
local guest house in Gomatipur area, police said.
Police have arrested Mahendrasinh Tahkore, manager of the
"Police had to cane charge and fire tear gas shells to
control the mob which set on fire a vehicle and started stone
pelting the guest house.
We have been told that in the past the house was being
used as a brothel and it had restarted similar activity
recently, leading to uproar in the vicinity," Joint
Commissioner of Police Atul Karwal said.
Protesters alleged Ambika guest house was being used for
prostitution and started pelting stones at it, the police said
adding that the car of the owner of the guest house was also
"The situation is now under control. We have arrested the
owners of the guest house. We shall investigate the incident,"
Fire brigade officials were also called after a vehicle
was torched by the mob, police said.
"As a precautionary measure additional state reserve
police force has been deployed in the locality," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened