Police lathicharge to control mob in Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad: Several rounds of tear gas shells
were lobbed and lathi-charge used to control a stone-pelting
mob agitating against an alleged brothel being run from a
local guest house in Gomatipur area, police said.
Police have arrested Mahendrasinh Tahkore, manager of the
"Police had to cane charge and fire tear gas shells to
control the mob which set on fire a vehicle and started stone
pelting the guest house.
We have been told that in the past the house was being
used as a brothel and it had restarted similar activity
recently, leading to uproar in the vicinity," Joint
Commissioner of Police Atul Karwal said.
Protesters alleged Ambika guest house was being used for
prostitution and started pelting stones at it, the police said
adding that the car of the owner of the guest house was also
"The situation is now under control. We have arrested the
owners of the guest house. We shall investigate the incident,"
Fire brigade officials were also called after a vehicle
was torched by the mob, police said.
"As a precautionary measure additional state reserve
police force has been deployed in the locality," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees