Police officers in Prajapati case move Gujarat HC
Ahmedabad: Geetha Johri and three other police officers who figure as accused in the 2006 Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter case on Friday moved the Gujarat High Court challenging the Danta court`s jurisdiction to accept the chargesheet.
Of the 20 accused named in the CBI chargesheet, Johri, RK Patel, Rajkumar Pandian and PC Pande have filed the petition in the High Court. It may come up for hearing before Justice RH Shukla on September 24.
Danta Judicial Magistrate Geeta Ahir on September 18 held that her court was competent to take cognizance of the chargesheet filed by CBI on September 4.
The magistrate rejected the applications filed by these police officers who argued that chargesheet should have been filed in the Special CBI court in Ahmedabad, where the CBI had filed FIR of the case in April 2011.
Prajapati, a witness of the abduction and subsequent killing of gangster Sohrabuddin Shaikh and his wife Kauser Bi, was himself killed in a fake encounter, allegedly by Gujarat Police, at Chhapri in Banaskantha district on December 28, 2006.
CBI chargesheet says that Amit Shah, a close aide of Chief Minister Narendra Modi and the then minister of state for home in Gujarat, was the "kingpin" of the conspiracy to eliminate Prajapati. He, along with 17 others including Johri, Pandian, Vanzara, has been charged with murder, conspiracy, destruction of the evidence, etc.
Police officers O P Mathur and R K Patel have been charged only for criminal conspiracy, destruction of evidence and dereliction of duty, but not murder.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India