Ahmedabad: The Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) on Wednesday took into custody five serial blasts case accused, allegedly involved in an unsuccessful jail-break attempt, and will produce them in the court tomorrow, seeking their remand for interrogation.
"We have arrested (taken into custody from jail) five of the 14 accused involved in the unsuccessful jailbreak attempt at Sabarmati Jail today," Joint Commissioner of Police (JCP) (Crime) A K Sharma said.
The state government had earlier invoked the provisions of section 268 of the Criminal Procedure Code prohibiting the movement of all these accused out of the central jail. The trial of the Ahmedabad bomb blasts case is being conducted by sessions judge Jyotsna Yagnik in the court set up inside the jail premises.
After transfer warrants were secured by the Crime Branch for interrogation of the accused for jail-break attempt, state government revoked these orders.
"Transfer warrants of five accused - Shaduli Abdul Kalim, Shibli Abdul Kalim, Zahid Sheikh, Nasir Patel and Hafiz Mulla - were today secured," Chief Public Prosecutor Sudhir Brahmbhatt said.
On February 10, the authorities at Sabarmati Central Jail stumbled upon a 16-feet deep and 26-feet long tunnel in barrack No 4 where 14 of the 68 serial blasts accused were lodged.