Policemen injured during Asaram Bapu`s rally in Gandhinagar
Ahmedabad: Police officers, including
District Superintendent of Police (DSP) were injured as
followers of religious leader Asaram Bapu pelted stones at
them during a rally in Gandhinagar on Thursday, police said.
The incident took place when hundreds of followers of
Asaram Bapu were prevented from entering Gandhinagar
collector`s office, they said, adding the police resorted to
lathi charge and also lobbed tear-gas shells to disperse the
The police have filed a case against seven of Bapu`s
disciples when two boys of the Asaram ashram went missing last
year and their bodies were later recovered from the banks of
Asaram`s followers had organised a rally today and were
proceeding to submit a memorandum to the collector claiming
there was a well-planned conspiracy to frame their religious
leader and the allegations were false.
According to police, after followers were prevented from
entering collector`s office, they started pelting stones and
also damaged police vehicles.
DSP, Gandhinagar, Piyush Patel, his deputy and couple of
other police officials were injured during stone pelting
incident and have been admitted to civil hospital for
treatment, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred