Polls: Vadodara admn to hold `awareness` marathon`
Vadodara: In a bid to boost voter turnout in the upcoming Gujarat Assembly elections, the district administration will be organising a marathon run next month even as the Election Commission is implementing various measures to this effect.
The marathon titled `City Runs For Healthy Democracy` will be held in first week of December to create awareness among voters about the importance to exercise their franchise in the two-phase polls to be held on December 13 and December 17, district collector Vinod Rao has said.
Election Commission of India (ECI) has initiated an awareness campaign by introducing Systematic Voter`s Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) in the forthcoming polls.
Meanwhile, a life-term convict Manoj Patel has appealed to masses to exercise their vote.
According to sources at Vadodara Jail, Patel told a government team that visited the penitentiary under `Gandhi Katha` programme that since he can not vote he wants people to come out and exercise their right.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat will be in UK in July – know who all he will meet, what all he will do
- 'Over 400 Indians lodged in Pakistani jails till July 2015'
- UN refugee chief urges Pakistanis not to label Afghan refugees 'terrorists'
- Anil Kumble: Undoubtedly one of the greatest, but can he improve India's dismal show overseas?
- MP BJP leader announces Rs one lakh reward for locating Rahul Gandhi