Polls: Vadodara admn to hold `awareness` marathon`
Vadodara: In a bid to boost voter turnout in the upcoming Gujarat Assembly elections, the district administration will be organising a marathon run next month even as the Election Commission is implementing various measures to this effect.
The marathon titled `City Runs For Healthy Democracy` will be held in first week of December to create awareness among voters about the importance to exercise their franchise in the two-phase polls to be held on December 13 and December 17, district collector Vinod Rao has said.
Election Commission of India (ECI) has initiated an awareness campaign by introducing Systematic Voter`s Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) in the forthcoming polls.
Meanwhile, a life-term convict Manoj Patel has appealed to masses to exercise their vote.
According to sources at Vadodara Jail, Patel told a government team that visited the penitentiary under `Gandhi Katha` programme that since he can not vote he wants people to come out and exercise their right.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?