Polls: Vadodara admn to hold `awareness` marathon`
Vadodara: In a bid to boost voter turnout in the upcoming Gujarat Assembly elections, the district administration will be organising a marathon run next month even as the Election Commission is implementing various measures to this effect.
The marathon titled `City Runs For Healthy Democracy` will be held in first week of December to create awareness among voters about the importance to exercise their franchise in the two-phase polls to be held on December 13 and December 17, district collector Vinod Rao has said.
Election Commission of India (ECI) has initiated an awareness campaign by introducing Systematic Voter`s Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) in the forthcoming polls.
Meanwhile, a life-term convict Manoj Patel has appealed to masses to exercise their vote.
According to sources at Vadodara Jail, Patel told a government team that visited the penitentiary under `Gandhi Katha` programme that since he can not vote he wants people to come out and exercise their right.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest