Prajapati case: Bail plea of main accused rejected
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday
rejected the bail application of suspended IPS officer Vipul
Agarwal who is the prime accused in the 2006 Tulsi Prajapati
fake encounter case being probed by CBI.
Justice MD Shah, while rejecting the bail plea filed
by Agarwal last year, agreed with the apprehensions raised by
the CBI that the accused was an IPS officer and could tamper
with the evidence.
Agarwal had approached the high court after a sessions
court rejected his bail application. He was arrested in May
2010 by the state CID which was then investigating the case.
On April 8 last year, the Supreme Court ordered a CBI
probe into the killing of Prajapati who was gunned down in an
alleged fake encounter on December 28, 2006 outside Chhapri
village near Ambaji in Banaskantha district.
The apex court gave the direction on an appeal filed
by Prajapati`s mother Narmada Bai, who alleged that her son
was killed in a staged encounter by Gujarat Police, as he was
a key eyewitness in the November 2005 killing of Sohrabuddin
Sheikh and his wife Kausar Bi.
The apex court had also criticised the "tardy"
investigations conducted by the Gujarat Police in the
killings, in which, besides politicians, top police officials
were also involved.
In all, 14 policemen including four suspended IPS
officers and four cops from Rajasthan are behind bars in this
The suspended IPS officers include former Banaskantha
SP Vipul Agarwal besides IPS officers DG Vanzara, Rajkumar
Pandiyan and Dinesh M N, who are already accused in the 2005
Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself