Prajapati case: Bail plea of main accused rejected
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday
rejected the bail application of suspended IPS officer Vipul
Agarwal who is the prime accused in the 2006 Tulsi Prajapati
fake encounter case being probed by CBI.
Justice MD Shah, while rejecting the bail plea filed
by Agarwal last year, agreed with the apprehensions raised by
the CBI that the accused was an IPS officer and could tamper
with the evidence.
Agarwal had approached the high court after a sessions
court rejected his bail application. He was arrested in May
2010 by the state CID which was then investigating the case.
On April 8 last year, the Supreme Court ordered a CBI
probe into the killing of Prajapati who was gunned down in an
alleged fake encounter on December 28, 2006 outside Chhapri
village near Ambaji in Banaskantha district.
The apex court gave the direction on an appeal filed
by Prajapati`s mother Narmada Bai, who alleged that her son
was killed in a staged encounter by Gujarat Police, as he was
a key eyewitness in the November 2005 killing of Sohrabuddin
Sheikh and his wife Kausar Bi.
The apex court had also criticised the "tardy"
investigations conducted by the Gujarat Police in the
killings, in which, besides politicians, top police officials
were also involved.
In all, 14 policemen including four suspended IPS
officers and four cops from Rajasthan are behind bars in this
The suspended IPS officers include former Banaskantha
SP Vipul Agarwal besides IPS officers DG Vanzara, Rajkumar
Pandiyan and Dinesh M N, who are already accused in the 2005
Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh