Prajapati encounter case: SC refuses bail plea of IPS officer
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed the bail plea of a suspended Gujarat IPS officer who is facing prosecution in the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
A bench headed by Chief Justice dismissed the plea of Vipul Shital Prasad Agarwal who had sought relief on the ground that the CBI had failed to filed charge sheet in the case in the stipulated period after taking over the probe from the CID.
Agarwal was arrested by the state CID on May 3, 2010. The probe in the case was later on given to the CBI on the direction of the apex court. The central agency then filed a fresh FIR in the case.
He contended that after registering a fresh FIR and commencing of fresh investigation, the CBI had failed to file charge sheet within the stipulated period of 90 days, and he was entitled to bail on account of such default.
The bench, however, was not satisfied and held that he was arrested according to the FIR lodged by the CID and in that case charge sheet was filed within 90 days.
It said that the earlier charge sheet continues to stand as it has not been quashed.
"The submission that since a fresh investigation was directed to be conducted by this court, the earlier charge sheet must be deemed to have been quashed, has to be rejected," the bench said.
According to the CBI, Prajapati was a witness in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case and his killing was part of a larger conspiracy.
Sohrabuddin and his wife Kauser Bi were allegedly abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorist Squad from Hyderabad and killed in a fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.
Prajapati, said to be Sohrabuddin`s accomplice, was also subsequently eliminated by ATS because he was an eye witness to the couple`s killings, the CBI had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door