Prajapati encounter: CBI allowed to quiz accused
Banaskantha: A local court on Tuesday
allowed CBI to interrogate the incarcerated accused in the
2006 Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter case of Gujarat.
Additional Sessions Judge PV Maru, hearing the case,
asked CBI to video record the entire proceedings when the
accused are questioned inside prison where they are lodged.
The Central agency had filed an application seeking
interrogation of the 14 accused, all policemen.
While accepting the plea, the court laid down certain
conditions. It asked the CBI to video record the entire
interrogation process with investigating officer clearly
visible with proper identification, name tag and designation.
The judge further said the accused should be allowed
to have their respective lawyers present during interrogation.
The court also asked the CBI to provide a copy of the video
recording to the accused.
The case was transfered to CBI from Gujarat CID on
orders of Supreme Court on April 8 on a petition filed by
Narmada Bai, mother of the deceased, who had alleged that her
son was killed in a "staged shootout" by Gujarat Police.
Prajapati, a key witness in the November 2005 fake
encounter of Sohrabuddin Sheikh, was shot dead allegedly by
police on December 28, 2006 near Chhapri village here.
CBI had on April 29 registered an FIR in the Prajapati
case against police officials of Gujarat and Rajasthan. They
were booked under IPC and charged with murder, criminal
conspiracy, wrongful confinement and destruction of evidence,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Bankruptcy law credit positive for banks: Moody's
- Indonesia's Mount Sinabung continues eruption
- Congress, BJP quote Mirza Ghalib to spar over Modi govt's two years in power
- Renault forays into pre-owned car biz in India
- When Luna the husky demanded belly rubs during car ride – Watch the adorable moment!