Pre-Monsoon showers hit Gujarat
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: Parts of drought-affected Gujarat on Friday received rainfall with MeT officials describing the showers as pre-monsoon activity.
"Rain in south Gujarat, parts of Saurashtra, Vadodara and Ahmedabad is (a result of) local phenomenon over the lower level of the Gujarat region.
"Onset of monsoon in the entire state is expected from June 15," a MeT department official said, adding that the showers today was "pre-monsoon activity".
Junagadh district today received 56-mm rain while the rain gauge measured showers of 28-mm in Rajkot district. In Jamnagar district, Jamjodhpur taluka received 14-mm rainfall while Kalavad tehsil (10-mm), too, was in for some showers.
Other districts in the Saurashtra region received sporadic rainfall, the MeT official added.
Many parts of Saurashtra, south Gujarat, Ahmedabad and Vadodara have received rainfall over the last few days. Surat city in south Gujarat received heavy showers.
Meanwhile, a 50-year-old farmer was killed after being struck by lightning in Amreli.
Also, in Rajkot city, teenagers Ajay Solanki (16) and Gopi Solanki (19) were drowned in a lake while taking a bath in it.
The lake was reportedly full after receiving rainwater.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan