Pre-Monsoon showers hit Gujarat
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: Parts of drought-affected Gujarat on Friday received rainfall with MeT officials describing the showers as pre-monsoon activity.
"Rain in south Gujarat, parts of Saurashtra, Vadodara and Ahmedabad is (a result of) local phenomenon over the lower level of the Gujarat region.
"Onset of monsoon in the entire state is expected from June 15," a MeT department official said, adding that the showers today was "pre-monsoon activity".
Junagadh district today received 56-mm rain while the rain gauge measured showers of 28-mm in Rajkot district. In Jamnagar district, Jamjodhpur taluka received 14-mm rainfall while Kalavad tehsil (10-mm), too, was in for some showers.
Other districts in the Saurashtra region received sporadic rainfall, the MeT official added.
Many parts of Saurashtra, south Gujarat, Ahmedabad and Vadodara have received rainfall over the last few days. Surat city in south Gujarat received heavy showers.
Meanwhile, a 50-year-old farmer was killed after being struck by lightning in Amreli.
Also, in Rajkot city, teenagers Ajay Solanki (16) and Gopi Solanki (19) were drowned in a lake while taking a bath in it.
The lake was reportedly full after receiving rainwater.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics