Protest held against Thanagadh killings, 3000 dalits
Ahmedabad: Around 3,000 dalits were detained across Gujarat today during their state-wide protest against the alleged inaction by police in arresting culprits of Thanagadh killings.
While 200 of them were detained here, 100 people were taken into custody in Vadodara, 300 activists in Surendranagar and Patan districts and 200 people were detained in Surat, police said.
The protest began from Babasaheb Ambedkar`s statue near Sarangpur here. Traffic remained affected for several hours after agitators blocked the road.
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) vice-president Girish Parmar said the state government was "insensitive" to the threat faced by Dalit community in the state.
He said none of the BJP dalit leaders turned up for the protest.
"In the last 40 days, eight dalits have been killed across the state, three dalit women have been raped and seven murder attempts have been made against the community," Parmar claimed.
Dalits from Thangadh are on indefinite fast for the last ten days demanding justice for families of the deceased.
Three persons, including a boy, were killed after police opened fire in air at Thangadh town in Surendranagar district following violent clashes involving Dalit and Bharwad communities on September 22.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India