Protest held against Thanagadh killings, 3000 dalits
Ahmedabad: Around 3,000 dalits were detained across Gujarat today during their state-wide protest against the alleged inaction by police in arresting culprits of Thanagadh killings.
While 200 of them were detained here, 100 people were taken into custody in Vadodara, 300 activists in Surendranagar and Patan districts and 200 people were detained in Surat, police said.
The protest began from Babasaheb Ambedkar`s statue near Sarangpur here. Traffic remained affected for several hours after agitators blocked the road.
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) vice-president Girish Parmar said the state government was "insensitive" to the threat faced by Dalit community in the state.
He said none of the BJP dalit leaders turned up for the protest.
"In the last 40 days, eight dalits have been killed across the state, three dalit women have been raped and seven murder attempts have been made against the community," Parmar claimed.
Dalits from Thangadh are on indefinite fast for the last ten days demanding justice for families of the deceased.
Three persons, including a boy, were killed after police opened fire in air at Thangadh town in Surendranagar district following violent clashes involving Dalit and Bharwad communities on September 22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year