Radadia resigns as Cong MP, prefers to be MLA in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: Congress MP from Porbandar Vitthal Radadia, who was involved in gun-totting controversy, on Thursday resigned from the Lok Sabha and decided to retain his seat in state Assembly.
"I have decided to stay in Gujarat to work for the people here by being an MLA and have resigned from Lok Sabha seat," said Radadia.
"Today I have sent my resignation letter to Lok Sabha Speaker," he added.
Vitthal Radadia had caused embarrassment to the Congress party when he had brandished his gun at a toll plaza staff on October 11 last year at Karjan in Vadodara.
Radadia, who also got elected from Dhoraji Assembly seat had to take a call by today if he wanted to retain his Assembly seat or not.
As per constitutional provisions, a leader who gets elected from both Parliament and state Assembly seats can only represent in one House and has to decide within 15 days of his last election.
During the recent Assembly elections in Gujarat, out of three MPs fielded by Congress, two - Radadia and Somabhai Patel- won their Assembly seats and one, Kunvarji Bavalia, lost.
Patel, the MP from Surendranagar, had decided to retain his Lok Sabha seat and resigned as MLA from Limdi.
"Somabhai Patel has sent his resignation letter to the state Assembly," state Congress unit spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
Congress party in the state is now facing a peculiar situation on the issue of selecting Leader of Opposition in Assembly as Radadia has openly staked his claims for the post.
"As I am the senior most leader in the party here with getting elected in the state Assembly for the sixth time, I have also asked the party to consider my name for the post of the Leader of Opposition," Radadia claimed.
"I had made my situation clear to party high command too," he added.
"I got elected from Dhoraji Assembly seat in a very tough situation and they have voted for me only after I promised them that if I would win I will stay here in the state to serve them," Radadia claimed.
He won the recent Assembly elections with a margin of 2,943 votes.
With the resignation of Soma Patel, the strength of Congress in the 182-seat Assembly has reduced to 59, as Savita Khant, who won from Morva Hadaf seat in Panchmahal district, died on December 21, a day after the state election results were declared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon