Raghavan protecting Modi in Guj riot case: Cong
Ahmedabad: Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil on Wednesday RK Raghavan, head of the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team probing the 2002 Gujarat riots, was trying to shield the Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"Raghvan, who is being offered all kind of undue facilities by Modi government, was blatantly trying to protect Modi and other accused," he told reporters after the Congress Legislature Party`s meeting in Gandhinagar.
Later in a statement, Gohil, leader of opposition in Assembly, said Raghavan was delaying submission of probe report on riots.
"Every month, Rs 1.5 lakh is paid from the public money to Raghavan (as salary). His conduct has always been suspicious. He was extended all facilities at the government`s expense during his visit to UK. Raghavan has not bothered to record statements of important witnesses like RB Sreekumar, Rahul Sharma and Sanjiv Bhatt," Gohil said.
"Supreme Court-appointed amicus curie Raju Ramchandran did a lot of homework and prepared a comprehensive report in the case but Raghavan is trying to find loopholes to save the Chief Minister and other accused," he alleged.
Reacting to his statements, BJP legal cell president JJ Patel said, "This same Congress had distributed sweets when SIT led by the same Raghvan had arrested one of the ministers of Modi government, Maya Kodnani (in Naroda Patia riot case).
Now, when the same SIT has not taken into consideration the falsehoods of Congress about Modi due to lack of evidence, it is targeting Raghavan."
"We will have to check if the statements of Gohil amount to contempt of court," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you