Rahul Gandhi can also contest elections in Italy: Narendra Modi
Rajkot: Taking a jibe at Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said Rahul is just not a national leader but an "international leader" and can contest election in Italy also.
"Recently a Congress leader made a statement that Rahul Gandhi is a national leader of Congress and I am a regional leader. I am happy to be a leader of Gujarat but I do not agree to consider Rahul as national leader," Modi said, addressing Swami Vivekananda Youth Convention here.
"I am proud to be a regional leader of Gujarat. Rahul is not a national leader but an international leader and he can contest election in India as well as in Italy," Modi said, once again targeting the foreign origin issue of his mother Sonia Gandhi.
Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi had last week made the comment when he was asked whether the forthcoming election in Gujarat be "Modi Vs Rahul". He had said comparison cannot be made as Rahul is Congress`s national leader while Modi is regional leader of Gujarat.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh also yesterday described Modi as a regional leader and Rahul a national one.
Alleging that the UPA government is deceiving people, Modi criticised the Manmohan Singh government for not fulfilling promises made in Congress election manifesto in 2004.
"In 2004, Congress in its manifesto had promised to give job to one crore youths but according to a report issued by the Government of India, Gujarat is the leader in giving jobs with 72 percent of share," Modi said addressing a large gathering of youths.
"I want to ask a question to UPA government and its Prime Minister that if you are not able to fulfil your promises then why do you make them...only to deceive people?" he asked.
Incidentally, today is Modi`s 62nd birthday which the leader is celebrating by campaigning in the state for the elections, slated to be held by this year end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued