Rahul Gandhi to address public rally in Gujarat on March 11
Ahmedabad: As a part of the party`s campaigning for the 2014 general elections, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi will address a public rally on March 11 at Balasinor town of Kheda district in Gujarat.
"Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi will address an election rally at Balasinor on March 11," Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadiya announced here on Thursday.
"The Congress party will begin its state-wide campaign against the BJP government`s corruption from March 4 to March 11 by organising a padyatra in all the 26 constituencies," Modhvadia said.
"On the last day, Rahul Gandhi will address the people about the achievements of the UPA government and welfare schemes introduced during two terms," he said.
"Congress will make people aware about the Centre`s welfare initiatives like the Right to Food, Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee (MNREGA), Right to Information and the Forest Rights Act," he said.
"During the one week padyatra programme in all the 26 constituencies, the Congress will approach people from both rural and urban areas to expose the BJP`s corruption to them," the party leader said.
The Congress would also hold a public awareness campaign against former MLAs who quit the party to join BJP.
"Prior to that, on March 2, Congress party leaders and workers will visit the Abdasa and Mandvi assembly seats of the Gujarat assembly to expose MLAs who switched over to the BJP," party spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
"We will inform the masses that leaders who betray the party are betraying the people," Doshi said. On February 24, Chhabil Patel from Abdasa assembly seat of Kutch district and Prabhu Vasava from the Mandvi assembly seat of Surat district submitted their resignation to Gujarat assembly speaker Vaju Vala.
Patel is a two-time Congress MLA, though his political career began with the BJP, which he had left 18 years ago. However, Vasava, who was president of the Surat district Congress unit, had no prior links to the BJP.
Earlier, three other Congress MLAs had resigned and joined BJP, namely MLA Rajendrasinh Chavda from Himmatnagar in Sabarkantha district and MLA Jasa Barad from Somnath in Junagadh district, besides MLA Bavku Undhad from Lathi, who submitted his resignation to the Assembly Speaker in the last week of January.
Totally, five MLAs resigned and joined the BJP in the last one month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read