Rajkot immolation case: Two women succumb to burns
Rajkot: The two surviving women from the Nepalese family whose members immolated themselves died on Saturday after battling for life for three days in a hospital here.
Rekha Mahendra Vishwakarma (35) and Vasumati (60) succumbed to burn injuries at the Civil Hospital, Resident Medical Officer GH Dambhaniya said.
Rekha died early this morning, while Vasumati breathed her last a few hours later, he said.
Five members of the Nepalese family poured kerosene and set themselves ablaze in Rajkot Municipal Corporation (RMC)`s central zone office on April 3, fearing eviction from the house they had been staying in for 30 years.
Three of them, Bharat Mansingh Vishwakarma (40), his wife Asha (35) and brother Girish (27), died the same day in the hospital. The family had been living in a small house in Chhotu Nagar Co-operative Housing Society in Raiya Dhar area.
The family members took the step fearing they would have to vacate the house after losing a court case against the housing society. Society members wanted them to vacate the plot and had moved the court and BJP-ruled RMC for eviction.
Meanwhile, three members of the housing society, Dushyant Tank, Haresh Vanja and Rajjesh Dholakiya, surrendered before the police last night. They have been booked for abetment to suicide, police sources said.
Girish, in his dying declaration, told the police that two BJP Corporators Rajbha Zala and Kamlesh Mirani were harassing and threatening them to vacate the plot.
Police yesterday said that based on Girish`s statement they have started a probe against the two Corporators and they will be arrested if required.
BJP today took out rally in support of Mirani and Zala, who have denied the allegation levelled against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing