Rajkot immolation: Death toll rises to 3, city observes bandh
Rajkot: Two more persons died of their burn injuries taking the death toll to three in the Wednesday`s tragedy in which five members of a Nepalese family set themselves ablaze to protest against a drive to evict them from their house.
Bharat Mansingh (40) had died yesterday soon after being admitted to the Rajkot civil hospital while his wife Asha (35) and brother Girish (27) succumbed to their burn injuries late last night.
Two others -- Rekha (30) and Vasumati (60) -- are battling for life, hospital officials said.
Meanwhile, trading units, shops and educational institutes remained closed today in support of a bandh call given by Congress to protest the suicide attempt made by the family at Rajkot Municipal Corporation`s (RMC) central zone office.
Bharat along with his other family members reached RMC`s central zone office where they poured kerosene and set themselves ablaze.
The victims took the extreme step as they feared evacuation from their home after losing their case.
The family was given permission to construct a small hut in the common plot of Chhotu Nagar Cooperative Housing Society in Raiya Dhar area by the society members but the family covered 900 sq yard common plot and also constructed a house illegally.
The society members then went to a civil court, which ordered that the construction was illegal and the family should be evicted from the plot.
Opposition Congress alleged that the BJP-ruled corporation was behind the plight of the family, which forced them to take the extreme step and today gave a call of bandh.
City Mayor Janak Kotak announced a compensation of Rs five lakh for the family. The Congress too announced a compensation of rupees one lakh for them.
The city observed a peaceful bandh as police beefed up security arrangements by deploying additional four companies of State Reserve Police to avoid any untoward incident. Meanwhile, police have started investigation in the case and registered a complaint against five residents of the housing society.
"We have taken the statements of two persons who died late last night before they succumbed to their burn injuries. We have also taken the statements of two other injured persons," Rajkot `A` Division Police Inspector MN Rathod, who is the investigating officer, told a news agency.
"Five persons of the Chotunagar co-operative housing society have been named as accused. One of them, a 65-year-old person, has been hospitalised while four others have locked their homes and left for unknown locations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'