Rape victim can terminate pregnancy: Gujarat HC
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court has allowed an 18-year-old Dalit rape victim to undergo abortion.
The order was passed by Justice Anant S Dave yesterday after the girl from Deodar taluka in Banaskantha approached the high court last month seeking permission for premature termination of the pregnancy.
"Keeping in mind the best interests of the girl and her parents, and likely consequences and innumerable mental, physical, social and economical problems in future if pregnancy is not allowed to be terminated and resulted into birth of a child, this court has come to the conclusion that the case falls within the parameters of Sections 3 and 4 of the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act," Justice Dave said in the order.
"There is no bar for termination of pregnancy in case of a rape victim," he further said.
The victim is 16 weeks pregnant. The court also issued a direction to the civil surgeon of the government hospital, Ahmedabad, to conduct abortion, with the help of a panel of expert doctors.
The court further said that if the panel of doctors is of the opinion that termination of pregnancy would affect the life and safety of the victim, it may reconsider the decision.
Under the MTP Act, an advanced stage pregnancy can not be terminated, unless doctors believe that woman`s physical or mental health is in danger. A pregnancy caused by rape is covered by this exception.
The high court also ordered that after the abortion, the foetus be preserved for DNA testing as it could be a useful evidence for the investigation of the rape case.
According to the victim, she was abducted by one Amratji Agraji Thakore from her village on September 28, 2010.
In her complaint to the police, she also said that she was kept in the captivity by the accused for over two months and was repeatedly raped before the rescue in December 2010.
The medical examination in December revealed that she was pregnant.
Then she approached the Court seeking permission for abortion. The accused is absconding.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!