Rape victim tries to commit suicide inside court building
Nadiad: A 37-year-old rape victim today attempted suicide by consuming poison inside a court building here, police said.
The woman attempted suicide, as she was apparently intimidated by the family members and friends of the accused to change her statement in the court, police said.
Nadiad (town) police said that the victim had lodged a complaint on July 29, 2012 that one Ditesh Patel had allegedly raped her.
As per the complaint, the woman and Patel had got close to each other after they had met at a petrol pump. They had an affair for about a year and were into physical relationship.
But, she filed a complaint against the accused in July last year and the accused was immediately arrested by the police.
"Within five days of the offence being registered, we arrested the accused and produced him before the court," Nadiad (town) Police Inspector Gurpreet Singh said.
However, the court later released the accused on bail, Singh added.
According to police, the victim had also attempted suicide before she filed the complaint.
Today, even though there was no hearing in the case, the woman came to the court and attempted suicide by consuming poison (phenyl mixed with rat killer). She was rushed to a local hospital and is now undergoing treatment, they added.
Hearing in the case is scheduled for March 30, victim`s counsel Bharat Patel said.
Taking note of the incident, police have initiated an investigation into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers