Rape victim tries to commit suicide inside court building
Nadiad: A 37-year-old rape victim today attempted suicide by consuming poison inside a court building here, police said.
The woman attempted suicide, as she was apparently intimidated by the family members and friends of the accused to change her statement in the court, police said.
Nadiad (town) police said that the victim had lodged a complaint on July 29, 2012 that one Ditesh Patel had allegedly raped her.
As per the complaint, the woman and Patel had got close to each other after they had met at a petrol pump. They had an affair for about a year and were into physical relationship.
But, she filed a complaint against the accused in July last year and the accused was immediately arrested by the police.
"Within five days of the offence being registered, we arrested the accused and produced him before the court," Nadiad (town) Police Inspector Gurpreet Singh said.
However, the court later released the accused on bail, Singh added.
According to police, the victim had also attempted suicide before she filed the complaint.
Today, even though there was no hearing in the case, the woman came to the court and attempted suicide by consuming poison (phenyl mixed with rat killer). She was rushed to a local hospital and is now undergoing treatment, they added.
Hearing in the case is scheduled for March 30, victim`s counsel Bharat Patel said.
Taking note of the incident, police have initiated an investigation into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH