Review move to raise Sardar Sarovar dam height: NBA to Modi
New Delhi: Demanding withdrawal of the decision to raise the height of Sardar Sarovar Dam (SSP), the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) on Thursday said the move was "pushed" by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and asked him to come forward for a comprehensive review of the entire project.
Holding a `Warning Dharna` with people affected by the dam from Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat at Jantar Mantar here, the NBA asked Modi to have a dialogue on the issue.
Expressing shock at the Narmada Control Authority`s (NCA) decision, NBA leader Medha Patkar said the move was in violation of not just law and contempt of court, but it had also bypassed three concerned Ministries - Environment, Water Recources and Social Justice and Empowerment.
"Medha Patkar expressed shock at the fact that decision of the NCA, is basically a political decision pushed by Narendra Modi, in violation of not just law and contempt of court, but also by bypassing the three concerned Union Ministers, Uma Bharti,Thavar Chand Gehlot and Prakash Javdekar, all from Madhya Pradesh who had virtually no role in the decision making process.
"She urged Modi to face the reality, face, hear the people and come forward for a comprehensive review of the entire project, a duty which is bound, as Prime Minister of India," a statement issued by NBA said.
"We also want that this decision be immediately withdrawn and a new process which would be democratic and based on the legal framework and four judgements of the Supreme Court be started," Patkar said.
The NBA, which threatened to fight the battle both legally and on the ground, found support in Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) whose leaders Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan pledged support to the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it