Review move to raise Sardar Sarovar dam height: NBA to Modi
New Delhi: Demanding withdrawal of the decision to raise the height of Sardar Sarovar Dam (SSP), the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) on Thursday said the move was "pushed" by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and asked him to come forward for a comprehensive review of the entire project.
Holding a `Warning Dharna` with people affected by the dam from Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat at Jantar Mantar here, the NBA asked Modi to have a dialogue on the issue.
Expressing shock at the Narmada Control Authority`s (NCA) decision, NBA leader Medha Patkar said the move was in violation of not just law and contempt of court, but it had also bypassed three concerned Ministries - Environment, Water Recources and Social Justice and Empowerment.
"Medha Patkar expressed shock at the fact that decision of the NCA, is basically a political decision pushed by Narendra Modi, in violation of not just law and contempt of court, but also by bypassing the three concerned Union Ministers, Uma Bharti,Thavar Chand Gehlot and Prakash Javdekar, all from Madhya Pradesh who had virtually no role in the decision making process.
"She urged Modi to face the reality, face, hear the people and come forward for a comprehensive review of the entire project, a duty which is bound, as Prime Minister of India," a statement issued by NBA said.
"We also want that this decision be immediately withdrawn and a new process which would be democratic and based on the legal framework and four judgements of the Supreme Court be started," Patkar said.
The NBA, which threatened to fight the battle both legally and on the ground, found support in Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) whose leaders Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan pledged support to the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city