RS uproar over SC/ST quota, Gujarat gas deal
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Tuesday witnessed pandemonium over issues like quota in promotions for SC/ST and alleged scam in a gas exploration venture in poll-bound Gujarat.
Arrest of innocent Muslims in false terror cases across the country also led to noisy scenes in the House, which saw two adjournments during pre-lunch sitting.
Soon after the House met for the day, Samajwadi Party stalled the Question Hour demanding release of "innocent" Muslim youth arrested on false terror charges across the country.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said the issue can be raised after Question Hour but SP members were unrelenting and started raising slogans. As Ansari did not permit them to raise the matter, they rushed into the Well leading to adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, members from the Samajwadi Party again trooped into the Well chanting slogans opposing quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
BSP chief Mayawati and her party members, however, kept silent in their seats when SP MPs led by Naresh Agrawal shouted slogans. SP leader Ramgopal Yadav was also seen in the Well.
Government listed the bill in this regard in the Lok Sabha today in an apparent bid to please BSP ahead of the crucial discussion on FDI under a rule that entails voting. BSP has 21 members in the Lower House.
In the Rajya Sabha, members from ruling Congress waved a news magazine and copies of the report alleging irregularities in a gas deal by the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat.
BJP members including Ravishankar Prasad, M Venkaiah Naidu, Najma Heptulla and Maya Singh were also on their feet protesting the waving of the report by Congress members.
Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien asked Congress members not to show the magazine saying "this is against the rule". Amid din, he adjourned the House till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre