RS uproar over SC/ST quota, Gujarat gas deal
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Tuesday witnessed pandemonium over issues like quota in promotions for SC/ST and alleged scam in a gas exploration venture in poll-bound Gujarat.
Arrest of innocent Muslims in false terror cases across the country also led to noisy scenes in the House, which saw two adjournments during pre-lunch sitting.
Soon after the House met for the day, Samajwadi Party stalled the Question Hour demanding release of "innocent" Muslim youth arrested on false terror charges across the country.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said the issue can be raised after Question Hour but SP members were unrelenting and started raising slogans. As Ansari did not permit them to raise the matter, they rushed into the Well leading to adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, members from the Samajwadi Party again trooped into the Well chanting slogans opposing quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
BSP chief Mayawati and her party members, however, kept silent in their seats when SP MPs led by Naresh Agrawal shouted slogans. SP leader Ramgopal Yadav was also seen in the Well.
Government listed the bill in this regard in the Lok Sabha today in an apparent bid to please BSP ahead of the crucial discussion on FDI under a rule that entails voting. BSP has 21 members in the Lower House.
In the Rajya Sabha, members from ruling Congress waved a news magazine and copies of the report alleging irregularities in a gas deal by the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat.
BJP members including Ravishankar Prasad, M Venkaiah Naidu, Najma Heptulla and Maya Singh were also on their feet protesting the waving of the report by Congress members.
Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien asked Congress members not to show the magazine saying "this is against the rule". Amid din, he adjourned the House till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena