RS uproar over SC/ST quota, Gujarat gas deal
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha on Tuesday witnessed pandemonium over issues like quota in promotions for SC/ST and alleged scam in a gas exploration venture in poll-bound Gujarat.
Arrest of innocent Muslims in false terror cases across the country also led to noisy scenes in the House, which saw two adjournments during pre-lunch sitting.
Soon after the House met for the day, Samajwadi Party stalled the Question Hour demanding release of "innocent" Muslim youth arrested on false terror charges across the country.
Chairman Hamid Ansari said the issue can be raised after Question Hour but SP members were unrelenting and started raising slogans. As Ansari did not permit them to raise the matter, they rushed into the Well leading to adjournment of the House till noon.
When the House reassembled, members from the Samajwadi Party again trooped into the Well chanting slogans opposing quota in promotion for SC/ST in government jobs.
BSP chief Mayawati and her party members, however, kept silent in their seats when SP MPs led by Naresh Agrawal shouted slogans. SP leader Ramgopal Yadav was also seen in the Well.
Government listed the bill in this regard in the Lok Sabha today in an apparent bid to please BSP ahead of the crucial discussion on FDI under a rule that entails voting. BSP has 21 members in the Lower House.
In the Rajya Sabha, members from ruling Congress waved a news magazine and copies of the report alleging irregularities in a gas deal by the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat.
BJP members including Ravishankar Prasad, M Venkaiah Naidu, Najma Heptulla and Maya Singh were also on their feet protesting the waving of the report by Congress members.
Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien asked Congress members not to show the magazine saying "this is against the rule". Amid din, he adjourned the House till 2 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh
- Volkswagen kicks off deliveries of its first Made in India car Ameo
- Kalam's death has left irreplaceable void: PM Narendra Modi
- Flood alert sounded in UP districts after rains in Nepal
- Stem cells injection could ward off glaucoma