RSS not involved on PM candidate issue: Narendra Modi
Nagpur: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday met RSS top brass including its chief Mohan Bhagwat but brushed aside suggestions that the issue of projecting him as prime ministerial candidate for 2014 General Elections was discussed.
"RSS does not get involved in such things," Modi told reporters after the “fruitful” meeting at RSS headquarters here. He was replying to a query on the possibility of his being projected as the prime ministerial candidate.
"I was here after a long time to meet RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, general secretaries Bhayyaji Joshi and Suresh Soni and held cordial discussions with them on various issues," the Chief Minister, who is facing Assembly Elections in Gujarat in December, said.
Modi came to the city on a special aircraft and left immediately after the meeting.
The Gujarat Chief Minister`s visit comes in the backdrop of BJP MP Ram Jethmalani suggesting that Modi should be projected as the party`s Prime Ministerial candidate for the Lok Sabha polls.
However, the BJP downplayed the meeting, saying it was a "courtesy" call and no "political meaning" should be read into it.
"Narendra Modi or other senior leaders of the party... they keep meeting RSS leaders as courtesy.... This meeting should be looked on those lines only and seeing it more than that or reading any political meaning into it will not be right," BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown